So despite my disappointing initial Birchbox experience, I decided to keep the subscription and give it another go.
The November box arrived today and I couldn’t be more disappointed. Let’s take a look inside my sad half empty box.
- Harvey Prince Eau Flirt – Smells like something Britney Spears concocted.
- Supersmile Professional Whitening Toothpaste – This is actually useful since we’re going to Dallas this weekend. However, I could have purchased one for $1.50. Sure, it wouldn’t have been a whitening toothpaste but really, who cares?
- Zoya Nail Polish in Holly – Admittedly, this is a cute color. But it’s tiny and I don’t need new polish.
- Chuao Chocolatier Firecracker Chocopod – This was awesome! It’s a piece of dark chocolate that’s spicy and filled with popping candy.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills HydraFull Gloss in Sugar Pink – I wouldn’t know because IT WASN’T IN THE BOX. 😦
I canceled my membership. That missing lip gloss was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Honestly, I never wear lip gloss and I don’t even like the Anastasia brand but still! $10 for that?
In all honesty, their samples are high quality items. I was a bit harsh with my initial evaluation of my first Birch Box. This was what I got:
- Two packets of Oribe shampoo and conditioner samples. I originally reviewed these as lame but they turned out to be magical for my hair. The downside is that Oribe products are sold at Bergdorf Goodman for $30-40 per bottle. So while I loved using the samples, the chances are slim that I’ll purchase them full-size.
- Befine lip exfoliator. As a lip balm addict, my lips are never chapped. So I gave it to a friend.
- Caudalie night cream. There’s nothing special about this cream. I haven’t noticed any kind of change in my skin. Lame rating stands.
- Laura Geller Spackle Tinted Primer. This wasn’t bad since I did need a primer. It’s sheer and the bronze color is subtle. I’d never buy it full size though – I already know which primers are for me.
- Orofluido hair oil. Originally rated as lame but came out as the surprise hero. It’s light and absorbs quickly. It also smells pleasant. I don’t have to much use for it, but on days I need a bit of oomph, I believe it achieves that.
Here are some Birchbox pros:
- High quality products
- Cute packaging
- Getting a little present every month is fun 🙂
Now, onto the cons:
- Not enough samples. The box is half-empty. I’d suggest using a smaller box to help with the empty feeling.
- Missing sample.
- Not worth $10 monthly, $110 annually (yikes!)
- Not into every product.
Birchbox was fun while it lasted. The $10 is better spent on this delicious chocolate 😉