The cleanse got a lot easier after Day 3 in the sense that I didn’t get light-headed or ache. However, I still crave my favorite foods – sausage, cheese, bread… sigh. These were my meals for Day 4:
- Breakfast: One banana, one protein shake with two scoops of powder and a handful of frozen raspberries
- Lunch: One plate of steamed, plain broccoli and one protein shake with two scoops of powder and a handful of frozen raspberries
- Dinner: Stir-fried string beans and tofu with scallions
Lunch was a particularly sad occasion for me. After church, we went out to a popular Malaysian restaurant for lunch. This is what I ate:
This is what everyone else had – satay beef and chicken, pineapple fried rice, noodles with beef and shrimp…
It’s pretty masochistic for me to go out to lunch with friends, but there was no way around it.
On Day 5, I woke up with more energy and decided to go to the gym. Here are my meals for Day 5:
- Breakfast: Half a banana
- Lunch: One bowl of rosemary garlic carrot soup and a small apple
- Dinner: A small garden salad of grape tomatoes and romaine lettuce and a small apple
I made the rosemary garlic carrot soup. It’s really good! The ingredients are simple:
- 1 lb of raw carrots
- 7-10 cloves of garlic
- sea salt
- vegetable stock (I used the fat-free Emeril brand)
Peel and chop the ends off the garlic. Pour half the broth and some water into a pot. Toss in the garlic cloves, salt, and rosemary and bring to a boil. While the stock boils, peel and chop the carrots. Add the carrots to the pot. Cook for 30 minutes.
After that, ladle the soup into a blender and puree.
Add back into the pot. At this point, I added the rest of the stock so the soup was thinner. This is a basic recipe that can be altered for any kind of soup (I will make potato leek when the cleanse is over).
I’m not very good at following recipes or directions, so I just eye-ball everything and add to taste.
Here are my meals for Day 6:
- Breakfast: One small apple, eaten in the car
- Lunch: One small apple, eaten on the beach
- Dinner: Two servings of guacamole salad (ST made guacamole and I just ladled it on top of romaine lettuce)
Today was tough. I spent the whole day feeling hungry. There’s really not much I can eat, according to the restrictive guidelines in my cleanse booklet. Sad.
Four more days to go…